According to a recent government report ‘stealth theft’ (when someone takes your bag or belongings when you aren’t paying attention) typically accounts for between 50% and 60% of all thefts from a person*. So, if you are sporting the latest Mulberry number, a classic Prada bag, or a more modestly priced tote from Michael Kors, what can you do to protect it?
Research from an insurance provider** suggests nearly 1 in 10 women carry a handbag worth £250 or more, but a designer Gucci handbag can cost anything up to £2,500.
Of course, in addition to the value of the actual bag, just think about the costs that live at the bottom of your bag. If you added up all the stuff you carry around with you, the total amount runs even higher. Smartphones, make-up, credit cards and cash all increase the value.
Here are a few pointers:
- Keep your bag close. Ideally pick one with a strap that can be worn diagonally across your body.
- Only carry what you need, regularly de-clutter and minimise what you carry.
- Avoid carrying documents containing personal information.
- Don’t leave your bag on the passenger seat of your car with your doors unlocked.
- Use handbag clips where available in bars and clubs.
- Buy Curve, the smart GPS tracker that attaches to almost anything and sends location updates to your phone from far away
*Stealth theft from the person comprises the majority of all CSEW theft from the person incidents, typically accounting for between 50% and 60% of all incidents.
**Insurer Direct Line